AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Extremely large lymph node in groin; what's the next step?

I have been HIV positive since 1992. Three months ago I switched my antiretroviral therapy. The results in terms of CD4 cells and viral load have been very positive. About a week ago I noticed that one of the lymph nodes in my groin was extremely swollen, about the size of a pecan, and fairly painful. I am also experiencing fatigue muscle aches and fever. do you have any advise?

Response from Dr. Dezube

The first thing I would try to ascertain is whether there is an obvious reason for you to have a large groin node. For example, have you recently had a toe/foot infection or a sexually transmitted disease. Either of these processes could cause an enlarged groin node. Toe infections are very common. If there is no obvious reason as to why you should have an enlarged lymph node, then I would recommend that you get it biopsied, particularly since you are experiencing fevers. It may be reasonable to also have a CT scan to see if there is a reason for the enlarged node. Lymph nodes in the groin are very common. When one node changes compared to all the other nodes, then that changed node needs to be evaluated further.

HIV progression/effect on lymph nodes
Dr. Bruce Dezube's Farewell Message