Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV progression/effect on lymph nodes
Jul 27, 2003

Dr. Dezube, Do you find that, as HIV disease progresses, lymph nodes no longer get enlarged, even if they are sensitive? If so, why is this? A breakdown in the ability of the body to defend itself?

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Dezube

As you can imagine, there is no clear cut answer which applies to all patients. In general, lymph nodes swell early in the course of HIV infection as the body tries to fight off HIV. As the course of HIV infection progresses, the lymph nodes tend to regress. HOWEVER, I have seen many, many patients with advanced AIDS who never lose their lymph nodes. It is important to bring to the attention of your health care provider any lymph nodes, which are unusual when compared to other lymph nodes, e.g. if one lymph node was growing much faster than all the others.

Previous
Treatment for KS. Should I take chemotherapy or just rely on the fact that my immune system will improve?
Next
Extremely large lymph node in groin; what's the next step?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.