Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Does KS need to be treated if it's only one spot?
Jul 22, 2003

doctor, do I need treatment if I have only one KS on my chest? I suspect it is KS because this 3mm spot has been there for several months and never go away. Thx.

Response from Dr. Dezube

The first question I have is are you HIV positive or negative. Have you been tested? The second question is whether or not this lesion is KS. It would be important to establish whether or not you have KS. For this reason, I would recommend that you have your chest lesion biopsied.

If you indeed are HIV positive and this lesion is indeed KS, then you do not necessarily need to have a single lesion treated. However if you were to be HIV positive and that lesion were to be KS, then you may need to consider taking HAART therapy (HIV drugs) if you were not already taking this drugs. Bottom line is that I need to know a bit more about your case to properly advise you, but in the mean time if you have not been HIV tested, then please get tested. And then consider a skin biopsy. Knowledge is power.

Previous
Bladder cancer treatment in an HIV positive patient. How do HIV drugs and chemotherapy go together?
Next
My lymphoma is acting up during chemotherapy!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.