AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Does KS need to be treated if it's only one spot?

doctor, do I need treatment if I have only one KS on my chest? I suspect it is KS because this 3mm spot has been there for several months and never go away. Thx.

Response from Dr. Dezube

The first question I have is are you HIV positive or negative. Have you been tested? The second question is whether or not this lesion is KS. It would be important to establish whether or not you have KS. For this reason, I would recommend that you have your chest lesion biopsied.

If you indeed are HIV positive and this lesion is indeed KS, then you do not necessarily need to have a single lesion treated. However if you were to be HIV positive and that lesion were to be KS, then you may need to consider taking HAART therapy (HIV drugs) if you were not already taking this drugs. Bottom line is that I need to know a bit more about your case to properly advise you, but in the mean time if you have not been HIV tested, then please get tested. And then consider a skin biopsy. Knowledge is power.

Bladder cancer treatment in an HIV positive patient. How do HIV drugs and chemotherapy go together?
My lymphoma is acting up during chemotherapy!