The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Check list for good medical care?
Jul 18, 2003

Hi, I want to make sure that I get the best medical care possible, so I just wondered if there is some check list of things, including signs of cancers, that should be monitored/checked in a 'standard' HIV+ person (I'm 30 years old, on combination therapy and otherwise in good health). Obviously, I my doctor takes the standard blood tests (viral load using very sensitive tests ('undectable' is below 20 copies), CD4 counts and percentages, lipid levels etc. etc.), but is there any other tests/examinations that you would consider part of (very) good medical care? Thanks in advance.

Response from Dr. Dezube

There is no univeral accepted check lists for good medical care, but various health agencies have published their own versions. You don't state your sex-- recommendations vary according to the sex. Here are just some thought. This just represents a start.

CD4 and viral load

Lipid studies (triglyceride and cholesterol), glucose, liver and kidney function tests

Hepatitis A, B, and C status-- (if you were to be Hepatitis A or B negative, then vaccination would be recommended)

Check stool for blood

Pelvic examination (female) including PAP smear; Anal PAP smear for men

Routine immunization (Tetanus/Deptheria)

Tuberculosis testing (PPD testing)

Toxoplasmsis status

Discussion about mental health

Discussion about seat belts, smoking, alcohol, recreational drugs

Depending upon age Mammograms and Colonoscopy

CD4 decline and radiation
Basal Cell Carcinoma and HIV

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint