AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Patient with lung disease (COPD): Likely to develop KS while on corticosteroid medication?

Since I suffer from COPD (a chronic lung disease with similarities to emphysema and bronchitis). I am on a steroid inhaler. Under the given circumstances is there a risk to develop KS if I were to be HHV8 positive ? Do you recommend to get a HHV8 test? Kind regards, Chris

Response from Dr. Dezube

This is an interesting question. HHV8 is indeed the virus which causes Kaposi's sarcoma. However, the vast majority of folks who are infected with HHV8 do NOT develop Kaposi's sarcoma. Patients who are HIV positive, in addition to being HHV8 positive, have a greater chance of developing KS. It is possible, though not very probable, to develop KS in the lung from steroid inhaler if all of the following conditions are met 1) you are HHV8 positive 2) you are HIV positive 3) your HIV viral load is not under control and your CD4 cell is low.

In reality, I've seen very few patients over the years who have developed KS from steroid inhalers. I would NOT recommend being tested for HHV8 as this would not change management. If your COPD or asthma is severe enough to merit steroids, then you should use the inhaler.

2nd time around for Hodgkin's disease-- oh no
CD4 decline and radiation