Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

type and distribution of Hodgkin's Disease in hiv- and hiv+ patients
Jul 6, 2003

Hello, I read in a post that the type and distribution of HD seen in HIV+ patients is different from that of HIV- patients. I was hoping you could either elaborate and let me know what the differences are. I have searched on the web endlessly, and am not getting an answers.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Hodgkin's disease (HD) is indeed reasonably common in HIV-positive patients. HD is a form of lymphoma. HD is also not that uncommon in HIV-negative patients.

HD is HIV-positive patients differs from that in HIV-negative patients in several ways. 1) HD is divided into several different types according to how it looks under a microscope. One particular type, called Mixed Cellularity, is much more common in the HIV-positive patients than in the HIV-negative. 2) HD in HIV-positive patients tends to be more extensive than in HIV-negative patients. For example, the bone marrow can be involved frequently in HIV-positive patients. There are other differences in addition to these two. The treatments, however, are pretty much the same. I treat both my HIV-positive patients and my HIV-negative patients with a chemotherapy regimen called ABVD. The success rate of this treatment is pretty good in both HIV-positive and HIV-negative patients. It is very important that HIV-positive patients remain on HAART therapy during the time they are being treated for HD. Other physicians may use regimens other than the ABVD approach.

Previous
Spitting blood- lung cancer or irritated throat?
Next
2nd time around for Hodgkin's disease-- oh no

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.