AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Spitting blood- lung cancer or irritated throat?

I spat blood 4 times in the last month and a half. I spit it when I just wake up and once right after a cigarette. I'm a regular cigarette/marijuana smoker(2 joints a day). i just wanna know if the problem is just an irritated throat wich causes me to spit blood or if i have some other serious problem. I also get chest pains sometimes, mostly after smokin. This is really freaking me out, im only 19.

Please help me.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Although the most common cause for spitting blood at your young age is irritation of the passages of the lung, the first steps would be for you to see a health care provider and to have a chest x-ray. If the bleeding were to continue, then other possible steps would include a chest CT scan and referral to a lung specialist. I would encourage you in the strongest possible terms to do whatever it takes to stop smoking. Although I would doubt you have lung cancer now, cigarette smoking is the single most important cause of lung cancer, as well as esophagus cancer, head and neck cancer, and so on, and so on. Now is the best time to stop. You can do it!

Testicular cancer? what's the next step?
type and distribution of Hodgkin's Disease in hiv- and hiv+ patients