Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

my mind and my lymphoma
Jun 27, 2003

i have lived with lymphoma, non-hodgkins, for several years now. when it was discovered that i had it in vancouver, two years ago, i was given radio-therapy for ten days. now i live in mexico, i'm getting my drugs, but i refused chemotherapy because i believe the dangers and side effects far outweigh the benefits. i could be wrong. is it not true that chemotherapy is linked with cancer? anyway, i'm fine. the only thing is i can't sleep. i have to take one and a half sleeping pills every night. but i am wondering, should i do something about my lymphoma?

Response from Dr. Dezube

I would need to know a bit more about your case to give a firm diagnosis, specifically what type of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma you have. There are many types of lymphoma.

What I will say however is that, for whatever reason, you are carrying a tremendous amount of negative baggage related to chemotherapy. I have many, many patients who are alive today solely becuase they received chemotherapy. You state in your query "I could be wrong". I do believe that you are very wrong when you state that the dangers and side effects of chemotherapy outweigh the benefits. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) would not approve a drug unless the benefits outweigh the risk in the appropriate patient population.

Previous
HIV and skin cancer-- are there special precautions?
Next
Does Panretin gel really help destroy KS? I had lymphoma and now I have KS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.