AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

CMV versus CLL-- what's in a name?

I just had an uncle pass away with what the dr.'s called "CMV",also "CLL". Thank you for your time.

Response from Dr. Dezube

It's always tough when doctors use initials and medical jargon. I believe firmly that it's every patient's right to ask there doctor to write down the name of his/her disease. Sometimes physicians mention the name of the condition without writing it down. Patients and family members often then convey the diagnosis incorrectly.

In any event CMV stands for cytomegalovirus, a type of viral infection which afflicts patients with a compromised immune system (e.g. AIDS patients). CLL stands for chronic lymphatic leukemia. CLL is a type of leukemia most commonly seen in elderly patients. It often has a very benign course, though on occasion CLL can become very aggressive.

KS-like lesions for over 20 years
What should I do about my 50 KS lesions?