Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Chronic Lymph NODES? why are they still there?
Jun 21, 2003

I have been feeling sevral lymph nodes on my neck a few under my armpits and groin... shotty size (like a pea).I have also had an enlarged node which was biopsied summer 2002 and showed EBV(1.8 cm)...it got smaller after that,but still there . Now I know he whole shotty nodes story based on ur posts. I havent had any worrying symptoms,,,my last risky exposure was oral sex on girl back in dec 2001 and i got tested after 9 months-- negative. Now I had tests during the last few months which showed EBV and Toxoplasmosis IGG. Now these shotty nodes have been on my neck for at least 2 months,no change in size no other symptoms, no pain,,,,, BUT WHY ARE THEY STILL THERE? Should i have them biopsied? My pathologist in Cyprus said that they not pathological.... Is it possible to be normal. I am loosing my mind.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Lymph nodes are part of the body's immune system. In a normal person, they will swell as the body tries to fight off infection. Many people, such as you, develop shotty nodes-- these are smallish node, typically less than 1 centimeter. Unfortunately in many folks, these lymph nodes don't go away, they sort of just sit there as tiny lumps--- chronic lymph nodes.

As I've mentioned in multiple other posts, nodes are most worrisome in the setting of systemic illness (fever, chills, night sweats, weight loss), if they grow/progress, or if one lymph node is way out of proportion to the other lymph nodes.

Previous
Rise in globulin levels in HIV infection
Next
KS transmission risk with single sexual episode

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.