AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Dad's going fast from a double whammy-- CMV infection and lymphoma (help prepare me)

My dad found out six weeks ago he had AIDS he was started on meds 3 weeks ago,and his cd4 went from 23 to 82 his viral load went from 404000 to undetectable now he has CMV and lymphoma. Can you prepare me for what's next. He is not responding very well right now.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm soooooo sorry to hear about your dad. This must be very difficult for you. Both CMV and lymphoma are treatable complications of AIDS, but as you can imagine, not everyone responds to treatment. Furthermore the treatment for CMV may interfere with the treatment for lymphoma. Only time will tell how he does. The fact that his CD4 count has risen and his viral load has fallen may make his CMV infection and lymphoma a bit easier to treat. As with many HIV-infected patients, it's hard to know what the future will bring. How should you prepare?? I always console patients to "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worse."

Anal burning 24/7
Cancer? Heavy smoker with mass on the thyroid