Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HPV & immune system
Jun 13, 2003

Dear Dr. Dezube

Thank you very much for answering my question (HPV & HIV Co-infection? Could I have gotten one without the other? Apr 20, 2003). I really appreciate it.

Sorry, another question. You said: "Many patients infected with HPV will clear the infection completely, thanks to their own immune system". Does that mean that in these patients HPV is completely eradicated or HPV virus is still there but under the siege of powerful antibody? Let me put it another way. If my HPV does not flare up for the next 20 years, but at the 21th year, I undergo chemotherapy, immune system is damaged to some extent, will the HPV flare up again?

thank you very much. God bless.

Dan

Response from Dr. Dezube

I did indeed write that "Many patients infected with HPV will clear the infection completely, thanks to their own immune system". In these patients, there is no HPV lurking so that at the 21st year, as you describe, when their immune system is damaged, the HPV will NOT flare up. However, in other patients, the HPV becomes sub-clinical (dormant). In these patients, when the immune system is damaged, HPV may indeed flare. So basically either of these situations is possible.

Previous
How to measure the size of lymph nodes?
Next
Will prednisone shrink lymph nodes in HIV-infected persons?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.