AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

How to measure the size of lymph nodes?

I often see people here talking about the size of lymph node in terms of centimeter. My question is how do you get their value (size in centimeter)?

Response from Dr. Dezube

The first point which I want to make about lymph node size is that there is no magic number such that below that number the lymph node is not worrisome and above that number the lymph node is worrisome. There is however a tendancy for lymph nodes to be more worrisome if they are larger than 2 centimeters.

If you can feel your lymph nodes, then you can measure the size of the lymph node with the help of a ruler. The lymph nodes are typically measured at the point of greatest length. If the lymph nodes are internal (e.g. in the belly or chest), then a CT scan can give a very accurate assessment of the size of lymph nodes.

Do I need anal pap smear?
HPV & immune system