Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Breast Cancer in HIV positive woman
Jun 9, 2003

I am a public health nurse contacting you on behalf of a female client. She has HIV, Hep C and was diagnosed with breast CA. She wants to know if her HARRT meds and chemo can be compatible? What side effects might she experience? What literature/resources are available for her to read? Your help would be grately appreciate. Thank YOU!

Response from Dr. Dezube

You don't state what your client's CD4 count is. Unless her CD4 count is low (e.g. less than 100), I treat my HIV positive breast cancer patients exactly like my HIV negative breast cancer patients. The only HIV medication, which is not compatible with chemotherapy, is zidovudine (AZT). This is because both the AZT and the chemotherapy can suppress bone marrow function. There is little published about breast cancer in HIV positive persons. Some, including myself, feel that the incidence of breast cancer in HIV positive patients is actually lower than in HIV negative patients. I have a little publication on this subject in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA).

Previous
relationship with another HIV+ve guy and non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Can I catch cancer from him?
Next
Do I need anal pap smear?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.