AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

relationship with another HIV+ve guy and non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Can I catch cancer from him?

I have recently formed a new relationship with a younger man, (18 yo) who is also HIV+ve, diagnosed some 2 years ago, and he has non-Hodgkins lymphoma. My understanding is that he has had treatment for this, ie chemotherapy and radiotherapy and surgical removal of glands/tumours. He is not on any anti-retrovirals drugs

While the relationship is good for my mental health, having some one to care and love for; I am concerned that I am putting my health at risk. I am HIV +ve have been for 2 years, I am 46 yo, on HIV treatment and very well. My main concern is my reading about the transmission of the lymphoma being viral and the "compromised state" because of my HIV infection. Could you please advise.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm glad you wrote as this gives me the opportunity to make it crystal clear that you can NOT catch lymphoma from a partner. PERIOD.

You do, however, make one statement that worries me, not for you, but for your partner. The best way for your partner to ensure that his lymphoma will not come back is to take HIV meds. Regardless of what your partner's CD4 count and viral load are, given his history of lymphoma, I would recommend that he stay on his HIV drugs.

The birth of a lesion in an HIV+ person
Breast Cancer in HIV positive woman