Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

relationship with another HIV+ve guy and non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Can I catch cancer from him?
Jun 9, 2003

I have recently formed a new relationship with a younger man, (18 yo) who is also HIV+ve, diagnosed some 2 years ago, and he has non-Hodgkins lymphoma. My understanding is that he has had treatment for this, ie chemotherapy and radiotherapy and surgical removal of glands/tumours. He is not on any anti-retrovirals drugs

While the relationship is good for my mental health, having some one to care and love for; I am concerned that I am putting my health at risk. I am HIV +ve have been for 2 years, I am 46 yo, on HIV treatment and very well. My main concern is my reading about the transmission of the lymphoma being viral and the "compromised state" because of my HIV infection. Could you please advise.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm glad you wrote as this gives me the opportunity to make it crystal clear that you can NOT catch lymphoma from a partner. PERIOD.

You do, however, make one statement that worries me, not for you, but for your partner. The best way for your partner to ensure that his lymphoma will not come back is to take HIV meds. Regardless of what your partner's CD4 count and viral load are, given his history of lymphoma, I would recommend that he stay on his HIV drugs.

Previous
The birth of a lesion in an HIV+ person
Next
Breast Cancer in HIV positive woman

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.