AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

The birth of a lesion in an HIV+ person

I am a relatively healthy young male in my early 30s. I was diagnosed with HIV 8.5 years ago. Today, I noticed something strange on my neck that started out with a burning sensation. The skin looks as though it was ripped apart in a concentric shape, and has since turned a deep reddish-purple color. Could this be my first lesion?

Is what I'm seeing for real, or just an illusion????

Response from Dr. Dezube

There's obviously no way that I can make a diagnosis without seeing what you have. You don't tell me what your CD4 count and viral load are. Were your CD4 count to be high and your viral load under control, then the likelihood of Kaposi's sarcoma is less. At this point, see what happens to the lesion over the next few weeks. If the lesion grows or persists, then it should be biopsied. A biopsy is the only firm way to make a diagnosis. If there is any chance that this represents an infection (tender, hot), then you need to see a provider and start antibiotics.

HIV positive and pancreas cancern-- Help
relationship with another HIV+ve guy and non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Can I catch cancer from him?