Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

The birth of a lesion in an HIV+ person
Jun 9, 2003

I am a relatively healthy young male in my early 30s. I was diagnosed with HIV 8.5 years ago. Today, I noticed something strange on my neck that started out with a burning sensation. The skin looks as though it was ripped apart in a concentric shape, and has since turned a deep reddish-purple color. Could this be my first lesion?

Is what I'm seeing for real, or just an illusion????

Response from Dr. Dezube

There's obviously no way that I can make a diagnosis without seeing what you have. You don't tell me what your CD4 count and viral load are. Were your CD4 count to be high and your viral load under control, then the likelihood of Kaposi's sarcoma is less. At this point, see what happens to the lesion over the next few weeks. If the lesion grows or persists, then it should be biopsied. A biopsy is the only firm way to make a diagnosis. If there is any chance that this represents an infection (tender, hot), then you need to see a provider and start antibiotics.

Previous
HIV positive and pancreas cancern-- Help
Next
relationship with another HIV+ve guy and non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Can I catch cancer from him?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.