AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

I had cervical cancer; Am I more prone to other cancers?

I had cervical cancer (I am HIV positive) and I would like to know if that is an open door to develop other cancers or for my original cancer to metastasize. Does cervical cancer mean you are prone to breast or other cancers? Thank you

Response from Dr. Dezube

Cervical cancer is typically caused by the human papilloma virus (HPV, also known as the wart virus). You may be more prone to diseases caused by the HPV virus (e.g. anal cancer, warts). It's important that your health care provider check your entire genital area regularly (cervix, vagina, anal area). Cervical cancer can also spread (metastasize). Presumably you are being checked for this. If your cervical cancer was completely removed, then the likelihood that your cervical cancer will spread is much less. HIV patients are more prone to get lymphoma (non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and Hodgkin's disease), but I do NOT believe that you are more likely to get breast cancer, either from your HIV disease or from your HPV disease.

Marginal Zone B-cell Lymphoma; what should I do now?
Aids/Lymphoma/Fungal infection-- too many things happening at once