AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

MGUS; high globulin levels. What does this all mean

When undergoing a recent physical, my globulin count was high. Further testing revealed an IgA of 1842. My IgG and IgM are normal. Three weeks later the IgA was 1958. In two weeks I go back for consultation. I know it is not good but what is your opinion? I run 20 miles a week and feel fine. Regards, Larry

Response from Dr. Dezube

There's not enough information here to make any comment, but I'll give you the questions to ask your health care provider. 1) Is the high globulin level monoclonal (also known as an "M spike"). High globulin levels can be either monoclonal (these are more worrisome) or polyclonal (less worrisome)

2) Is there anything to suggest that the globulin levels are on the basis of myeloma. Have you had your kidneys tested both by blood work, and by bringing in a 24 hour sample of your urine

3) have you had an HIV test? HIV can lead to a rise in globulin count

4) What does your bone marrow exmaination show? Have you had such an examination.

5) What do your x-rays show? what are your blood counts and calcium level?

These are just some of the questions you might want to ask. I'm glad you are feeling well. That's a good sign.

KS in stomach or intestines? Lots of gas.
My friend is dying from Kaposi's sarcoma