AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Can you get warts and HPV disease on the penis

I am HIV and on meds (Sustiva and Combivir, and doing fine) but concerned and confused about HPV. I have, what looks like a wart, or perhaps just a skin tag on the upper part of the shaft of my penis (ie near where it joins the body). Does HPV mean just anal warts, or could this be HPV? Also, can I be tested to see if I have immunity to HPV. Thanks v.much for your help.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Human papilloma virus (HPV, also known as the wart virus) can indeed cause warts on the penis. HPV can also commonly cause warts in the anal regions, cervical regions, and other parts of the body. Your health care provider or a skilled dermatologist should be able to look at the lesion on your penis and tell you whether or not it's a wart. It is a relatively minor procedure to have it removed. It's not easy to find out if you are immune to HPV. There are many, many strains of HPV, so even if you were to find out that you were immune to several strains of HPV, you could still get HPV from other strains. This lesion on the penis is obviously bothering you--- I would recommend that you get it removed.

Lymph nodes- how much of a size difference would cause you concern?
KS in stomach or intestines? Lots of gas.