|lymph node swelling-- HIV vs non-HIV enlargement
May 18, 2003
If nodal enlargement is because of HIV, all the nodes around the body should have the same chance to enlarge. However, most of the nodes appear around the throat and neck. I think it is because all HIV+ guys have some infection in their mouth and lung, some times penis, some times stomach, some times skin. These infection never go away, therefore, nodes never disappear. OR maybe HIV itself can only slightly enlarge nodes, HIV plus other infection generate big nodes..
Response from Dr. Dezube
You didn't realize actually ask a question. Most of your comments are correct. HIV infection typically causes generalize lymph node enlargement. It is not unusal for some of the lymph node groups to be particularly enlarged. The three areas of the body which are particulary prone to develop enlarged nodes are the following:
1) head and neck because mouth/tooth infections are common
2) armpit since the hand is constantly being exposed to infectious agents
3) groin since the leg is constantly being exposed to infectious agents.
My warts are all cleaned up; can I still transmit HPV?
Smoking and AIDS related cancers
- Do Enlarged Lymph Nodes Mean I Have Hiv?
- Enlarged Lymph Nodes After Eating Sperm Worried I Have HIV
- Enlarged Lymph Nodes After Giving Oral Worried I Have HIV
- Enlarged Lymph Nodes After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Can Oral Thrush Cause Enlarged Lymph Nodes?
- Does Freezing Breast Milk Kill Hiv?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.