Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My warts are all cleaned up; can I still transmit HPV?
May 18, 2003

In '99 I was diagnosed with high risk HPV and genital warts. The wart was treated with aldara, and i had a LEEP (a type of procedure) done on my cervix. Since then, i have had no symptoms and my PAPs have all come back normal. My question can you give this to everyone you have sex with?? I'm confused, every thing I've read says different things.

Response from Dr. Dezube

This is a very important question. As you have indicated, you have had an HPV infection. HPV is human papillomavirus virus (also known as the wart virus). Some folks who get an HPV infection get totally cured from it because they develop an immune response to HPV. Other folks have a low level persistent HPV infection. It's not feasible to find out if you still have a low level infection, so it is conceivable that you could still transmit the disease. You need to realize that a good portion of the health sexually active American population has HPV disease without knowing it. Since you've had both Aldara treatments and a LEEP procedure you are much less likely to spread HPV.

So what would I recommend? I would recommend to you, as well as to all sexually active people in the context of a non-monogamous relationship, to practice safer sex. In other words, even though there is indeed a small chance you could transmit HPV disease, the risk is probably no different from the average sexually person.

You should continue to have PAP smears on a regular basis.

Previous
Yet another HPV question...Can I leave a single wart alone?
Next
lymph node swelling-- HIV vs non-HIV enlargement

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.