AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Does recurring shingles signify HIV infection?

Does reccuring shingles mean that I am hiv+? we just had a baby and my wife said that she was tested and that it came back negative. We have been together for a little over 2 years. Is that too soon to show up in her or our newborn son? It seems as though I have an episode with shingles about once a year.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Recurring shingles is NOT necessarily a sign of HIV infection. Most patients with shingles do NOT have HIV infection. That said, HIV is more common in HIV-positive patients than in HIV-negative patients. I would highly recommend that you get HIV tested to settle this once and for all. Given the recurrent nature of your shingles, were you to be my patient, I would lean on you hard to get tested. Knowledge is power.

night sweats. lymphoma?
Yet another HPV question...Can I leave a single wart alone?