AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

night sweats. lymphoma?

My husband has been suffering from what his primary care provider has classified as ongoing sinusitis (about 7 months). His doctor thinks that his condition is aggravated by allergies. However, in addition to his sinus headache and chronic congestion, my husband has been having night sweats regularly now for several months. There are no visible swollen nodes that we can detect. Could these night sweats in a setting of an ongoing infection be lymphoma or other cancer?

Response from Dr. Dezube

Often night sweats come and go with transient infections. Given the length of time of your husband's night sweats (several months), it would indeed pay for him to go through some further testing. Has he been tested for HIV? He may benefit from CT scan of his chest, abdomen, and pelvis. If his HIV is negative and if his CT scan is unremarkable and if his laboratory tests are normal, then I would just observe him for a while and see how he does. A standard battery of laboratory tests would include complete blood count, liver tests, BUN/Creatinine (tests of kidney function), LDH and perhaps a sedimentation rate.

Can I be tested for HHV8, the virus which causes KS? Is it worth it to be tested?
Does recurring shingles signify HIV infection?