AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Can I be tested for HHV8, the virus which causes KS? Is it worth it to be tested?

Is there a test or any other way of telling whether you have the virus that causes KS (ie. HHV-8)?

Response from Dr. Dezube

There is no easy-to-find commercial test to find out if you have HHV-8, the virus which causes KS. However, some firms will perform this test as a research tool. Usually insurance companies will not cover the cost of such testing.

I would NOT recommend that you or anyone be tested for HHV-8. I say this because I have no idea how this will help with your management. If you have a lesion suspicious for KS, then a much better way to find out would be to have the lesion biopsied. In that way you would know for sure. Furthermore HHV-8 is a relatively common virus, particularly among gay men. The vast majority of folks who are HHV-8 positive do NOT have Kaposi's sarcoma. In other words, even if you were to have the virus, this does not mean that you will get any disease from the virus.

love 4 all of you!!!
night sweats. lymphoma?