Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I be tested for HHV8, the virus which causes KS? Is it worth it to be tested?
May 18, 2003

Is there a test or any other way of telling whether you have the virus that causes KS (ie. HHV-8)?

Response from Dr. Dezube

There is no easy-to-find commercial test to find out if you have HHV-8, the virus which causes KS. However, some firms will perform this test as a research tool. Usually insurance companies will not cover the cost of such testing.

I would NOT recommend that you or anyone be tested for HHV-8. I say this because I have no idea how this will help with your management. If you have a lesion suspicious for KS, then a much better way to find out would be to have the lesion biopsied. In that way you would know for sure. Furthermore HHV-8 is a relatively common virus, particularly among gay men. The vast majority of folks who are HHV-8 positive do NOT have Kaposi's sarcoma. In other words, even if you were to have the virus, this does not mean that you will get any disease from the virus.

Previous
love 4 all of you!!!
Next
night sweats. lymphoma?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.