Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Squamous Cell Carcinoma after non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
May 3, 2003

I have been HIV+ for the last 17 yrs and have had full blown AIDS for ten yrs. I was treated for Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma for 4 yrs and it has been in remission for 3 yrs. Now I have developed Squamous Cell Carcinoma as a result of repeated treatments for anal warts. When I was treated for the Lymphoma I became immune to 2 HAART protocols. My question is;if I am treated with radiation and chemo.

1) will I become immune to my current HAART?

2)Since the Squamous Cell was removed by surgery and the margins were found to be clear-could I just wait and see if it reoccurs?

Response from Dr. Dezube

Sounds like you've had quite the battles with cancer. I'm glad to hear that you are in remission from the lymphoma. Your first question is easier for me to answer. The proposed treatments of radiation and chemotherapy should have little, if any, impact on your current HAART. I am presuming that your squamous cell cancer was invasive since your health providers are recommending radiation and chemotherapy. You might want to check if this is the case. If your cancer was invasive, then there is a high likelihood that it will recur. If and when it recurs, it is very difficult to treat. I would recommend that you go through the treatments. I realize that you've been dealing with HIV for 17 years and that you received chemotherapy for your lymphoma. Alot depends upon where you are in terms of your HIV disease. If you are your health provider feel that you have a decent life expectancy from your HIV disease, then you would not want it to be cut short from anal cancer.

Previous
Can I use Aldara as preventative medicine against anal warts?
Next
HIV+, Will my lymph node swelling go down if I don't take HIV drugs?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.