Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lymph nodes in the setting of night sweats; when is enought testing enough?
May 3, 2003

I have had two separate lymph node biospies, one just a year ago in my neck. These lymph nodes are painless. All my blood work is normal. I see a hematologist/oncologist because I also have night sweats. I had a CT scan done in Jan. 03 and small lymph nodes were found. He repeated the CT scan in April 03, there are 3 there. I have no infection. Now I must have an HIV blood test. He always ask me if I have new symptoms, nothing of significance. I'm wondering how long this will go on, he says it could be something just festering, and eventually will come to light. Or it could be nothing, it seems like alot of testing to do for nothing. I am wondering about getting a second opionion. What do you think?

Response from Dr. Dezube

You raise a problem, which unfortunately is very common. You have symptoms (night sweats) in the setting of some enlarged lymph nodes. It is difficult to ignore this combination (i.e. lymph nodes with symptoms). The usual next step is a CT scan, which you indeed have. At this stage, I would do exactly what your doctor recommended-- specifically to follow your symptoms, do serial (i.e. repeat) CT scans, and blood work to see what if anything develops. Sometimes, diseases do only declare themselves in time. And often, as your doctor suggests, nothing ever shows up. I know this can be frustrating indeed. HIV testing is very very reasonable and needs to be done given that HIV can present with enlarged lymph nodes in the setting of night sweats. Should you get a second opinion? Perhaps. It depends what's happening to your symptoms-- are they getting worse or better? I presume you have a general doctor/internist who is also involved with the picture.

Previous
High red blood cell count; is this a set-up for a stroke?
Next
Can I use Aldara as preventative medicine against anal warts?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.