AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

abnormal PAP smear and HPV disease

I just recieved an abnormal PAP smear and my gynecologist said it was from mild dysplasia and HPV. She has suggested a Colposcopy. I haven't had the colposcopy performed yet. Does this mean that I do in fact have genital warts? Also, if I do and I treat them and they are removed, can i still infect someone else? I have not had an HIV test and now I am freaking out that I have it.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Your gynecologist gave you sound advice. The reason PAP smears are done is to screen for early changes of HPV disease and early cancers. The next step is often a colposcopy, a procedure by which your health care provider can get a much better look and biopsy of suspicious areas in your cervix. HPV infection is very common and many many women have had this procedure with great success. You should be HIV tested since you need to know. Please note that the majority of women with abnormal PAP smears are HIV negative. Knowledge is power. Also many women, particulary if you turn out to be HIV negative, will actually clear the virus completely from their system. After your HIV test and your colposcopy, you will be much less freaked out as you will have had answers. Good luck.

Restarting Treatment for KS
HPV & HIV Co-infection? Could I have gotten one without the other?