Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I have lymphoma, do I also have HIV?
Apr 20, 2003

I'm 20, female, heterosexual. I'm a lymphoma patient but I'm worried that I might be Positive from my past unprotected sex. I got myself tested 2 and half month after my last unprotected sexual encounter. i know it was way too early to tell, I was negative.

I was sent to the ER once when my physican found a mass at my lung from the x-ray. Apparently it was lymphoma. Do you think they got me tested for HIV in the ER? it was 4 and half month after the sex.

last question! I've had a bone marrow biopsy and lymph node biopsy a while ago. If I were Positive, would the doctors be able to tell? they said my bone marrow looks fine...

please give me sosme answers~!THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

Response from Dr. Dezube

You ask a very important and also a common question. Specifically you are already in the health care system with lymphoma, and your question is, with all the doctors you are seeing along the way, would the doctors be able to tell if you are HIV positive.

The real answer to your question is NO. Many patients feel that since they are seen by health care provider after health care provider, that someone must have checked them out for HIV. Often health care providers are so focussed on the specific problem at hand, e.g. curing the lymphoma, that the HIV gets untested. I would suggest that you get HIV tested up to 6 months after you last unsafe sex exposure. If that test is negative, then in all likelihood, your cancer is not related to the HIV.

Previous
Very painful lymph nodes; I have both HIV and cancer. Which disease is causing these nodes?
Next
How far advanced is my friend's cancer and HIV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.