AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Blood in spit. Is this blood cancer?

From the past few days Im spitting blood for 4 or 5 times immediately after I wake up in the morning. It appears that it is coming from the throat with a scratchy feeling.

No spitting again though throughout the day.

I heard blood from mouth suggests Leukemia (blood cancer). Is this true? Do I have blood cancer?

Please help me.

Response from Dr. Dezube

The most common cause for blood in spit or coughing up blood is irritation of the lung from bronchitis or pneumonia. Smokers tend to get these conditions more commonly than non-smokers. There are also many diseases which can cause blood in spit/sputum, which are much more serious. Blood in spit/sputum should prompt you to see a health care provider, who may at the very least order a chest x-ray. Depending upon what the chest x-ray shows and the frequency and quantity of blood, your provider may want to order a chest CT scan or alternatively have you seen by a lung doctor (pulmonologist). As for your query: could this be leukemia?-- the likelihood of you having leukemia based on what you have written to me is very remote.

Symptoms of Lymphoma
New cancer diagnosis: Do natural treatments help? How about also for AIDS?