AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Symptoms of Lymphoma

I have had a low grade fever for about 6 months that I know of. Lately I've been feeling tired and can't seem to do the same things I have done all my life. I went to my doctor and he asked me a lot of questions that made me realize I have more symptoms than I realized. I kept thinking there were valid explanations for these symptoms and never thought one had anything to do with the other.

I have had a low grade temp for 6 months or more, I have swollen lymph nodes throughout my body, I am always so tired. I wake up in the morning and feel great. Within 3 hours or so I am so tired it annoys me. My labs show hypercalcemia. My doctor wants to do various tests to rule out Lymphoma. Can you tell me just what the symptoms of Lymphoma are?

Thanks!

Response from Dr. Dezube

Many patients with lymphoma have what we call "constitutional symptoms", which include fever, chills, profuse sweating at night, and weight loss. Other patients with lymphoma have no symptoms; they just present with a mass/growth. Others present with problems related to where the lymphoma is located. Sounds like you might need a CT scan to see if anything is going on. Have you been HIV tested? That would also be important to do. There are no symptoms specific to lymphoma; most of the symptoms which I mention can be caused by many different diseases. If you end up having lymphoma, write back and we can go from there in terms of further suggestions.

You gave an irresponsible recommendation--switching from bottom to top
Blood in spit. Is this blood cancer?