AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

low-grade lymphoma; what about this and a node which doesn't grow?

I wrote to you about the lymph node in the 1.5cm range that my Dr. thought was "normal." Well it has been 5 months and nothing has changed (no bigger, no smaller, no symptoms). My Dr. re-evaluated it again and assured me it was normal. He said if it was a lymphoma, it would be a really low-grade one since it hasn't changed, but since I am only 30y/o and healthy, I don't fit the category for that- so don't worry. Is this true? What is the category for low-grade lymphoma patients, and what do you think of this node that isn't changing in 5 months? Thank you

Response from Dr. Dezube

It seems to me that your physician gave you sound advice. If your lymph node has not grown over the course of 5 months, then this is quite reassuring. Low-grade lymphomas are lymphomas which grow very slowly. Although without a lymph node biopsy, nobody can state for sure that you don't have a low-grade lymphoma, your physician is correct in that low-grade lymphomas are unusual in young patients. If you are otherwise healthy and your lymph node hasn't changed in 5 months, you could probably just leave it alone. If it's driving you crazy (i.e. sleepless nights worrying about it), then that might be a reason unto itself to get it biopsied.

Will a lymph node biopsy reveal HIV virus?
You gave an irresponsible recommendation--switching from bottom to top