Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Are anal warts a good sign that a person has HIV?
Apr 12, 2003

I was recently diagnosed w/ anal warts(actually, just one) I had receptive anal sex w/ a condom and no ejaculation, however my partner did finger and lick my ass before inserting his penis in it. He says he is HIV negative but someone told me that anal warts are a good sign that a person has HIV...now I'm super scared. I will go for a test soon, but have to wait several weeks before it's accurate. is HPV indicative of HIV? I thought I was being safe w/ the condom and everything. thanks.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Both HIV+ and HIV- folks can get HPV infection (human papillomavirus, wart virus) and the anal warts caused by this virus. Although it is true that HIV-positive patients tend to get HPV infection and warts more frequently than HIV-negative folks, many many of the HPV infected patients we see are HIV NEGATIVE. I'm glad that you are going to be tested for HIV; that's the correct thing to do. Given that your partner used a condom, your likelihood of being HIV-positive from that one exposure is small.

Previous
agnogenic myeloid metaplasia; any relation to protease inhibitors
Next
Will a lymph node biopsy reveal HIV virus?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.