Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sore nipple-- is it breast cancer?
Apr 6, 2003

MY PARTNER HAS A PAIN IN THE RIGHT NIPPLE. HE IS HIV POSITIVE FOR ALMOST 4 YEARS. HIS RIGTH NIPPLE LOOKS BIGGER THAN THE LEFT, AND ALSO ITCHES. HE HAS A LOT PAIN. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT HE IS HAVING BREAST CANCER? I KNOW THERE ARE A FEW CASES OF MASCULINE CANCER.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Breast cancer in men can indeed occur, but it is most uncommon. HIV positive patients get breast enlargement relatively commonly. This can be due to the medications they take or due to other medical conditions they may have. They can get gynecomastia (abnormal growth of breast tissue), liposmastia (abnormal fat deposits), as well as infections in the breast.

It's important that your partner gets this checked out. I would recommend that he sees a breast expert. Most hospitals have such expertise.

Previous
What is the meaning of "reactive" lymph node?
Next
How can a Dr tell if you have brain tumor or toxoplasmosis?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.