Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oral cancer/HIVcorrelation? Is HIV a catalyst?
Apr 6, 2003

Having lived with HIV for 13 years now I thought I could handle anything. I was diagnosed with oral cancer (SCC R Tonsil-stg 1)14Feb 03-to be surgically removed 28mar 03, but the tumor had grown too large, and now I face radiation/chemo. ENT doc seems to feel that HIV acted as "catalyst" to spur rapid growth. Is this a common cancer in HIV+ folks? (yes I was a smoker) Also what should I beware as far as side effects of rad/chemotherapy (to begin soon) w/HIV cocktail? (Norvir,epivir,zerit,amprenavir) Very little information readily available. Would like to know where to look and would love to interact w/others undergoing similar cancer experience. Many thanks

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm so sorry to hear about your latest chain of events. HIV does indeed act like a "catalyst" as you put it; in medical jargon, we say that HIV alters the natural history of the disease. HIV doesn't cause the Head and Neck Cancer. Rather, once the cancer gets established, HIV spurs the cancer. This happens because HIV suppresses the immune system.

It's important that you stay on your HIV medications since they will hopefully keep the virus in check, so that the chemotherapy and radiation can work. You might be more sensitive to the effects of chemotherapy and radiation, but if your CD4 count is relatively robust (i.e. over 200), I would not necessarily recommend that your oncologist cut down on your chemotherapy dose.

You may have a bit of a rough road ahead of you. Don't hesitate to ask for help and support from family members, friends, and from your health care providers. It's also important that you maintain your nutritional status.

GOOD LUCK.

Previous
recent HPV outbreak related to NEW HIV infection?
Next
What is the meaning of "reactive" lymph node?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.