Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

recent HPV outbreak related to NEW HIV infection?
Apr 5, 2003

Hi, I've asked several people this question, and it goes like this: I thought that I may have come into contact with someone who may have been HIV positive....About 3 weeks after the fact of possible exposure to HIV I noticed a small outbreak on my penis which I believed to be Genital warts, I did have them about 6 years ago with not one recurrence!...Could acute HIV infection have triggered an outbreak??...Or is is just nerves and coincidence...Please help!

Response from Dr. Dezube

There is no one answer to your question. It is possible that your genital warts are related to your recent exposure. They could also be related to a prior exposure. There is no way of telling whether you picked up HIV without being tested for it over the course of the next few months. Your warts could be "nerves and coincidence" or could have been triggered by HIV. Basically all the scenarios, which you mention, are indeed plausible.

Previous
Genital Warts Immunity-- Is the virus eliminated or is it just hiding?
Next
Oral cancer/HIVcorrelation? Is HIV a catalyst?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.