AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

recent HPV outbreak related to NEW HIV infection?

Hi, I've asked several people this question, and it goes like this: I thought that I may have come into contact with someone who may have been HIV positive....About 3 weeks after the fact of possible exposure to HIV I noticed a small outbreak on my penis which I believed to be Genital warts, I did have them about 6 years ago with not one recurrence!...Could acute HIV infection have triggered an outbreak??...Or is is just nerves and coincidence...Please help!

Response from Dr. Dezube

There is no one answer to your question. It is possible that your genital warts are related to your recent exposure. They could also be related to a prior exposure. There is no way of telling whether you picked up HIV without being tested for it over the course of the next few months. Your warts could be "nerves and coincidence" or could have been triggered by HIV. Basically all the scenarios, which you mention, are indeed plausible.

Genital Warts Immunity-- Is the virus eliminated or is it just hiding?
Oral cancer/HIVcorrelation? Is HIV a catalyst?