The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anal dysplasia and proctitis (inflammation of the rectum); what do you think?
Apr 4, 2003

I am an HIV positive male. I have had Proctitis for the last 4 1/2 months. This includes inflammation of the rectum, rectal pain; feeling i have to "go".... rectal discharge and pain/discomfort. Ruled out: gonorrhea, chlamydia, CMV, no warts (I had a sigmoidoscope) internal or external, pathology lab was negative. The colorectal surgeon did say he saw small external hemorrhoids . I guess I have non-specific proctitis... go figure. I JUST started HAART 2 days agos-- i was finally ready. Maybe this will clear up the proctitis? No other problems. My HIV Doc suggested that I might consider a test for anal dysplasia. Is proctitis a symptom for this? If they do an anal scraping... isn't it true that it's just "precancerous" and they aren't sure if it will ever develop into cancer... ?? I'm confused. Thank you!

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm not sure I have the final answer to what sounds like a very unpleasant situation. You mention no gonorrhea, chlamydia, CMV, and warts. Has your doctor checked you for Herpes? Herpes can and often does cause the symptoms which you describe. It is very reasonable for you to have a PAP test. I recommend in all HIV positive patients, but particularly gay men. How much the more so for you, given your proctitis (inflammation of the rectum). If you don't get better, I would suggest that you see a gastroenterologist, a specialist in bowel disorders. Hope you get an answer. Good luck.

Which is better CT or MRI?
Kaposi's Sarcoma- more into

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint