AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Can stress cause Cancer (second post on the subject)?

Dear sir, thanks for responding to my query, I can understand fully why the worried well feel so anxious.

In your response you state that stress can cause disturbancies in the immune system and in some cases this may lead to some forms of cancer. Clearly you do not feel the stress from HIV testing would though.

In my own case I hope you are right, but I added a huge burden to my own anxiety by thinking to the extreme of becoming obsessed that I had not only infected my wife but my children also by sharing food and drinks, I am assuming that my immune system was disturbed by the fact that around week 12 I had oral thrush, which came on with no contact with anyone.

Whilst I am encouraged by your comments, I am continuing to suffer from pain in my stomach area and uncomfortable overall with my health.

Having said that, is there any specific testing that you may recommend that could help me overcome my concern regarding creating cancer withiin my won body?

I realise this is a big ask, but I do not know what else to do.

Thanks

Response from Dr. Dezube

I would refer my readers to the first post on this subject (stress and cancer) for more details. There is no firm answer to this age old question about stress and cancer. I do believe that chronic major stress (e.g. loss of spouse/significant other, child) can wear down the immune system and in turn lead to certain cancers. That said, the stress of HIV testing is usually short-lived, and for that reason alone, I do not believe that it causes cancer. Once again, I would highly, highly recommend to my readers to get HIV tested if they are concerned about being HIV positive. Knowledge is power.

Will playing my sax prolong my cold?
Which is better CT or MRI?