Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can stress cause Cancer (second post on the subject)?
Apr 4, 2003

Dear sir, thanks for responding to my query, I can understand fully why the worried well feel so anxious.

In your response you state that stress can cause disturbancies in the immune system and in some cases this may lead to some forms of cancer. Clearly you do not feel the stress from HIV testing would though.

In my own case I hope you are right, but I added a huge burden to my own anxiety by thinking to the extreme of becoming obsessed that I had not only infected my wife but my children also by sharing food and drinks, I am assuming that my immune system was disturbed by the fact that around week 12 I had oral thrush, which came on with no contact with anyone.

Whilst I am encouraged by your comments, I am continuing to suffer from pain in my stomach area and uncomfortable overall with my health.

Having said that, is there any specific testing that you may recommend that could help me overcome my concern regarding creating cancer withiin my won body?

I realise this is a big ask, but I do not know what else to do.

Thanks

Response from Dr. Dezube

I would refer my readers to the first post on this subject (stress and cancer) for more details. There is no firm answer to this age old question about stress and cancer. I do believe that chronic major stress (e.g. loss of spouse/significant other, child) can wear down the immune system and in turn lead to certain cancers. That said, the stress of HIV testing is usually short-lived, and for that reason alone, I do not believe that it causes cancer. Once again, I would highly, highly recommend to my readers to get HIV tested if they are concerned about being HIV positive. Knowledge is power.

Previous
Will playing my sax prolong my cold?
Next
Which is better CT or MRI?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.