Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Swollen Lymph and EBV; what are IgG antibodies?
Apr 4, 2003

During the summer of 2002 I had a swollen lymph between my cheek and ear. I had tests that showed that had I low CD4 cells. I had more blood tests (Toxoplasma, Hep, anti-HIV1-HIV2...ALL NEGATIVE) that showed EBV (Ebstein Barr Virus) IgG..what is IGG?

After that i had lots of stress that let to heartburn. Recently I was in the hospital for lower right abdominal pain (the doctor's opinion was either appendix or gallstones) which went away after 2 days. Ever since I could feel 2 of my nodes one on the left side of my neck and one just above my collar bone...they haven't gone larger or smaller.... no pain and or other symptoms.. please advise..could it be Hodgkins?

Response from Dr. Dezube

Most antibodies which health care providers send off for are are two classes-- IgM and IgG. IgG antibodies indicate PAST infection. IgM antibodies indicate CURRENT infection. So typically what happens when one gets an infection, is that the IgM antibody goes up. In time, over the course of weeks, the IgM will begin to decline. At that point, IgG antibodies go over; IgG helps with long lasting immunity. So if you have EBV IgG, this means that at some point in your life, you've had an EBV viral infection. EBV is a very common virus, most folks (HIV+ or HIV-) have had an EBV infection. This infection might have happened 6 months ago, 6 years ago, or decades ago. IgG antibodies don't give a clue as to when it occurred.

In terms of your lymph nodes, indications for biopsy would be if they grow in size, if you are systemically ill (fever, chills, night sweats, weight loss). You might want to just watch what happens with your lymph nodes for a little more time before jumping into a biopsy.

Previous
Can hickies give you cancer?
Next
Will playing my sax prolong my cold?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.