Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What is the purpose of cancer?
Mar 21, 2003

what is the purpose of cancer?

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm not sure there is a "purpose" of cancer. I doubt my cancer patients would believe that their cancer serves a purpose. Cancer is caused by many many different mechanisms, many of which are normal processes which go awry. Just as one example, as part of the theory of evolution, genes mutate as a means of keeping up with pressures that challenge our body. Some of these mutations may go awry and cause cancer. Many cancers are caused by viruses; whether there is a "purpose" in cancers caused by viruses remains to be seen. The most common preventable form of cancer are those caused by cigarette smoking (lung cancer, head and neck cancer, bladder cancer, and so on). They also serve no purpose, as far as I can tell. Tossing out the cigarettes is the single best way to decrease the chance of getting cancer.

Previous
No Meds; stress free living; is that the answer to HIV?
Next
MRI vs CT- Which is better?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.