AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

No Meds; stress free living; is that the answer to HIV?

Hello Doctor, I been positive since 1990 and never on meds and the only thing I've had was shingles one time. I attribute this to a clean and healthy life. Never smoked, drank or did any drugs. I am always keep myself stress free as possible. I laugh all the time and I keep a positive upbeat additude. I think I will be a long time survivor without those deadly meds. I consider myself very fortunate and a miracle to society. What is your feedback? Thanks David

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear David: How I wish things were as simple as you point out in your query. I have many patients who "never smoked, drank or did any drugs" yet had terrible things happen to them. Your query is a very difficult one since it sort of minimizes the pain of many of my patients who also like you have tried to maintain a positive upbeat attitude. I'm happy for you, but your story just doesn't apply to the majority of the HIV-infected patients. The HIV meds are life-saving and are NOT deadly meds. You are indeed fortunate and I pray that your good luck continues. I equally hope that you can understand that when patients begin to take these life-saving medications, it is neither a sign of failure nor a testimony to a bad life. That said, having a positive upbeat attitude may help-- in terms of dealing with the stress of being HIV-positive and also occasionally with the disease itself.

Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Basal Cell Cancer
What is the purpose of cancer?