Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Basal Cell Cancer
Mar 21, 2003

I've been diagnosed with Basal Cell Carcinoma on the tip of my nose. I also have two KS lesions, now faded, on my arms. Viral Load is undetectable for a year; CD4 count is 150. Do you recommend Mohs Micrographic Surgery for removal of the Basal Cell Carcinoma, in view of your earlier posting that you found Basal Cell Carcinoma to be more aggressive in HIV patients? In what way do you find it more aggressive--growth? Is there any possible connection between that and my KS?

Response from Dr. Dezube

I would indeed recommend the Mohs procedure to you. Through this procedure, your doctor analyzes the cells removed from your nose as s/he cuts them out. S/he will remove just the right amount of tissue to ensure clean margins-- i.e. he'll cut the cancer out and nothing more. The Mohs procedure is the best way to preserve your precious nose; a nose is relatively small so it's important that your doctor removes as much cancer as possible and as little normal tissue as possible.

Basal cancers are indeed more common in patients with HIV disease. The basal cell cancers grow quicker and occur more frequently. It's important that you be followed closely by a dermatologist.

I doubt there is any relationship between your KS and your basal cell cancer.

Previous
Hair loss with AIDS
Next
No Meds; stress free living; is that the answer to HIV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.