AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Basal Cell Cancer

I've been diagnosed with Basal Cell Carcinoma on the tip of my nose. I also have two KS lesions, now faded, on my arms. Viral Load is undetectable for a year; CD4 count is 150. Do you recommend Mohs Micrographic Surgery for removal of the Basal Cell Carcinoma, in view of your earlier posting that you found Basal Cell Carcinoma to be more aggressive in HIV patients? In what way do you find it more aggressive--growth? Is there any possible connection between that and my KS?

Response from Dr. Dezube

I would indeed recommend the Mohs procedure to you. Through this procedure, your doctor analyzes the cells removed from your nose as s/he cuts them out. S/he will remove just the right amount of tissue to ensure clean margins-- i.e. he'll cut the cancer out and nothing more. The Mohs procedure is the best way to preserve your precious nose; a nose is relatively small so it's important that your doctor removes as much cancer as possible and as little normal tissue as possible.

Basal cancers are indeed more common in patients with HIV disease. The basal cell cancers grow quicker and occur more frequently. It's important that you be followed closely by a dermatologist.

I doubt there is any relationship between your KS and your basal cell cancer.

Hair loss with AIDS
No Meds; stress free living; is that the answer to HIV?