Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Carcinoid Tumors caused by Growth Hormone
Mar 8, 2003

Dr. Dezube I have been recently diagnosed with Carcinoid Tumors in my colon and rectum due to taking Growth Hormone to treat Lipodysystrophy. I am fortunate that I have a great care team that we quickly found this problem and had the tumors removed. My question to you how often do you think I should have follow-up colonoscopy's. My current gastroenterologist said come back in 5 years for follow-up. I feel that he was speaking in the best interest of my HMO and not my health. What are your thoughts for follow-up to monitor this situation?

Response from Dr. Dezube

This is VERY interesting to me as I published an article in the February 1, 2003 issue of Clinical Infectious Diseases on the subject of Growth Hormone and Carcinoid Tumors. I am presuming that you have stopped taking Growth Hormone. I would imagine, that if you are off the Growth Hormone, and you had the tumors removed, the likelihood of it coming back is small. I would probably recommend a colonoscopy one year after the intial ones are taken out. I wouldn't be so hard on your gastroenterologist; little is written about Carcinoid Tumors and Growth Hormone so there are no clear guidelines to follow. I imagine that you'll do quite well.

Previous
Red blood cells are elevated
Next
I have written before with no response, PLEASE RESPOND!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.