AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Carcinoid Tumors caused by Growth Hormone

Dr. Dezube I have been recently diagnosed with Carcinoid Tumors in my colon and rectum due to taking Growth Hormone to treat Lipodysystrophy. I am fortunate that I have a great care team that we quickly found this problem and had the tumors removed. My question to you how often do you think I should have follow-up colonoscopy's. My current gastroenterologist said come back in 5 years for follow-up. I feel that he was speaking in the best interest of my HMO and not my health. What are your thoughts for follow-up to monitor this situation?

Response from Dr. Dezube

This is VERY interesting to me as I published an article in the February 1, 2003 issue of Clinical Infectious Diseases on the subject of Growth Hormone and Carcinoid Tumors. I am presuming that you have stopped taking Growth Hormone. I would imagine, that if you are off the Growth Hormone, and you had the tumors removed, the likelihood of it coming back is small. I would probably recommend a colonoscopy one year after the intial ones are taken out. I wouldn't be so hard on your gastroenterologist; little is written about Carcinoid Tumors and Growth Hormone so there are no clear guidelines to follow. I imagine that you'll do quite well.

Red blood cells are elevated
I have written before with no response, PLEASE RESPOND!!!!