AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

can CMV or lymphoma do this?

I am HIV neg. based on tests that were done 2 years after possible exposure. I did have symptoms that were similar to HIV symptoms, so I was tested at 6 months and 2 years. My doctor said symptoms were because of recent CMV (cytomegalovirus) infection. Can lymph nodes and tonsils remain swollen for 2 years because of CMV? I still have infection coming from tonsils, or should I ask my doctor to look for another culprit? thanks so much

Response from Dr. Dezube

It would be unusual for your lymph nodes and tonsils to be swollen for the past two years either on the basis of cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection or lymphoma. I'm happy to hear that you are HIV negative. Some folks who are HIV-negative, and most folks who are HIV-positive simply have enlarged lymph nodes on a chronic basis. We get concerned with lymph nodes if you were to be systemically ill (fever, chills, night sweats, weight loss), or if the lymph nodes were progressing in size. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you still have an infection coming from your tonsils. It may be reasonable for you to see an Ears, Nose, and Throat specialist (otolaryngologist).

How likely: KS in my prostate?
The MRI didn't show my lymph nodes.