AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Kaposi's sarcoma- what does the future hold?

I have been HIV+ for 5 years and started treatment on dec 2002. I was recently diagnosed with KS although it appears not to have affected my internal organs and seams to only be lesions on my skin, The doctor has decided to treat my KS with radiation therapy I'm finding all this info very difficult to take in as she also mentioned something called interferon. what I really want to know is can my KS be cured and what does the future hold as I'm taking anti-viral combination therapy now.

Response from Dr. Dezube

The vast majority of patients with KS have a bright future. It is important that you continue to take your HIV drugs since your KS will be easier to treat as your HIV drugs help restore your immune system. KS is caused by an infection by the Kaposi's sarcoma herpesvirus (also known as HHV-8). Although you may not be "cured" of KS, the KS can be suppressed for very long periods of times, perhaps indefinitely. I have many patients whom I had treated with chemotherapy (and on occasion radiation therapy) who currently receive HIV drugs. Often, their KS never comes back so long as they remain on their HIV drugs. What is your CD4 count? Although interferon is occasionally used, many of the other agents available may be easier to tolerate.

Transmitting HPV to men
CD4 counts after radiation therapy