AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

prostate infection vs HIV infection symptoms

Thank you for this site. 2 to 3 weeks after having a sexual encoounter (no unprotected vaginal or anal sex) I came down with a prostate infection. I went to the doctor and they did a psa test which was high. medicine did take care of the symptoms. my question is, can hiv infection cause a prostate infection or are they unrelated. I have never seen any symptom mentioning prostste infection. Is it because it is a bacterial infection as compared to Hiv infection being viral?

Thanks a Million !!!!!!!!!

Response from Dr. Dezube

The answer to your question is both Yes and No. Both HIV positive and HIV negative folks can develop prostate infection. Furthermore patients who are HIV positive can get opportunistic infections of the prostate particularly when the CD4 count gets below 50. I am pleased to hear that medicine did take care of the symptoms. One last thing, it is reasonably common for the PSA to go up during the course of prostatis (inflammation of the prostate). It is important to have the PSA rechecked since in time the PSA should go down if the elevated PSA was on the basis of inflammation.

Pap smear & colposcopy- are they different?
Monogamous HPV unprotected sex