AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

primary effusion lymphoma

Thank you for your help in the past. I am now having trouble finding much information about PEL. I had recently begun my 3rd round (within 2 years) of doxil chemotherapy for KS. Therapy was interupted because of ongoing fever of 8 weeks (99-103). A left pleural effusion developed and I had a thorocentesis, removing almost 2 liters of fluid. Pathology tests on the fluid confirmed PEL. What little information I have found offers little hope. Best treatment also seems uncertain, but none seem to be much more effective than no treatment (ie: aggressive chemo). I would greately appreciate any information or resources you could provide. Thank you once again! Jim

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear Jim: Primary effusion lymphoma (PEL) is a very rare type of lymphoma seen in HIV-infected patients. Most patients, who have HIV disease and lymphoma, do NOT have PEL. Rather they have more the garden variety types of lymphoma. PEL is caused by human herpesvirus-8/kaposi's sarcoma herpesvirus. This is the same virus that causes Kaposi's sarcoma. PEL can be a tough cancer to treat. Some oncologists treat PEL with the same agent with which they treat other lymphomas. I personally have treated some patients with PEL with Daunoxome (100 mg/m2) with some success, particularly if the routine chemotherapy (CHOP) is not working for you. I'm not suprised that you could not find much information on the subject. There isn't much literature on the subject. Good luck.

Where do you see AIDS going in the future?
Does KS itch?