Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lymphoma or HIV?!
Feb 8, 2003

Hi Bruce

Not a while ago you answered a question of mine, I would really appreciate if you could answer this one too since I think I'm getting lost.

OK, I'll try to make it short... about 10 months ago I had an unprotected oral sex with a prostitute, then afterwards a protected (with a condom) anal sex with the same prostitute. That was a 1 time occasion that never happened before, probably nor ever will.

Few months later I started developing several symptoms, such as fatigue, very odd reddish fungal-like spots on my tongue, with whitish areas, and a quite big (currently >2cm) lymph node that slowly grew and became swollen.

I've been seeing 3 different doctors regarding my tongue, 1 said it was Thrush and gave me a gell (which doesnt help), both my family doctor and my dentist said it was normal. Regarding my lymph node, both my family doctor and a surgeon said it was nothing. Oh, by the way, the thrush doesnt bother me at all, what bothers me most is what it means.....

So anyway, I've made a HIV test (and couple of other STD's tests) that came back all negative, that was approx 4 months after possible exposure.

That is my story.. LASTLY, two questions: 1) Do you think I still may have HIV even tho I got tested negative after 4 months? 2) Can the possible thrush I have AND the massive lymph swelling may be related to... (Non)-Hodgkin's disease?!?! That would make a lot of sense to me (not that god forbids I want to have cancer) but most websites only relate thrush to HIV, so I don't know...

Could you please, please give me an answer asap? I don't know what to do. I feel I might have a serious problem, but everyone around me thinks it's nothing. Are they all right and I am the one who's wrong????

Response from Dr. Dezube

If your HIV test is negative, then I would believe it. I doubt your lymph node is due to just thrush. Most lymph nodes can be safely watched over the course of a month. I am most worried about lymph nodes that progress over time, are associated with symptoms (fevers, night sweats, weight loss), are out of proportion to other lymph nodes, and so on. If your lymph nodes persist or grow, it is not unreasonable to get one of them biopsied. However, I would not jump to the conclusion that you have lymphoma.

Previous
Thrush, once again...
Next
lump on my testicle

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.