AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Thrush, once again...

Hi Dr., I know you have heard this before, but can't find a good answer. Would it be odd for thrush to appear within a year after being infected. I tested a year or so ago and was negative, but was with a lady I don't know well about a year ago. I developed Thrush after taking Tequin for bronchitis but it hasn't gone away. I have taken diflucan which has helped some, but it's still there. While I await my blood work, I just wanted an opinion on this. Could Thrush persist in an otherwise healthy person once they have it? Thanks

Response from Dr. Dezube

Thrush, or a yeast infection in the mouth, is very common. You state that you were HIV negative one year ago. It may pay to get your HIV status rechecked. Thrush is more common in HIV'ers. Recurrent bouts of thrush are not uncommon. However, I would not assume that you are HIV positive just because your thrush has come back, Taking an antibiotic can cause the thrush to come back. Diflucan, as your note indicates, is very effective against thrush.

Lumps on my testicle.
Lymphoma or HIV?!