Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lymphoma symptoms; Do I have lymphoma?
Feb 8, 2003

Dr., I have an appointment next week with a doctor to get tested for HIV and to check on symptoms which seem to be very related to lymphoma. I had a low risk exposure just under 4 months ago and had a plethora of ARS symptoms, some of which continue til this day. My concern is that other symptoms have come up within the last few weeks that are indicative of lymphoma from what I've read.

One lymph node under my right jaw (submandibular) has remained enlarged and many petechiae are still apparent since 6 weeks after my exposure. I'm very fatigued which may be attributed to lack of sleep due to stress, but I am also weak, have body aches on and off everywhere (chest, abdomen, either side of ribcage, arms, legs, back), have cold hands and feet, soreness around my throat, a very stiff neck and shoulders, weight loss of about 8, and a red rash on my neck with occasional flushing of the neck, chest, and face. The only thing I don't have are night sweats.

Is it possible to have so many symptoms of lymphoma only 4 months after an exposure or could this be an extremely long ARS and seroconversion process - or both?

I understand lymphoma can happen at anytime of HIV but all of this so fast?

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm glad to hear that you are going for HIV testing. That is the first thing which needs to be settled. I would not trying to self-diagnose lymphoma. It's not uncommon for a patient to read about an illness and then convince themselves that their symptoms match that disease. First find out the result of the HIV test and the go from there. If you symptoms persist than you health care provider will probably run some blood work and do some x-rays (chest x-ray or CT scans). And yes, lymphoma can happen at any time during the course of HIV infection.

Previous
Post-lymphoma and Liposucction.
Next
Lumps on my testicle.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.