AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

MRI with gadolinium. What is that?

My doctor ordered a MRI scan with gadolinium because of my enlarged lymph nodes. I was wondering if you could tell me what this might be for. I have never heard of gadolinium. Thank you

Response from Dr. Dezube

When doctors order either CT scans or MRI scans, they often order some type of contrast (a type of dye) which helps light up any abnormalities. More often than not, a doctor orders a CT or MRI scan, and the contrast agents are given by the radiologist without the doctor specifically asking for them. Gadolinium is nothing more than an agent given at the time of the MRI which enhances (improves) the MRI images. I wouldn't worry about the fact that your doctor asked for gadolinium-- it's pretty routine.

What's the best case scenario for HIV infection? Be real, how many years can I go on?
Can hpv be transmitted through the use of shared sex toys?